Every now and then, when I get a check in the mail, as I did yesterday, I wonder what I did to earn it. This thing of mine is not exactly ditch-digging, after all. Mostly it seems quite a bit like play.
But I kept track of yesterday’s chores, for some reason, and so here’s a look at a day in the life of a freelance cycling rumormonger.
• Wrote an 850-word column for Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, on the joys of being a one-car, 16-bicycle family.
• Drew and colored a cartoon about motors in the peloton, also for BRAIN.
• Did an hour or so of hills on the Elephant NFE, stopping periodically to shoot some GoPro footage for its video review, which will accompany its Adventure Cyclist print review, which is fighting for space in my skull with ongoing impressions of a Felt V100 and Opus Legato 1.0.
• Pulled the footage off the GoPro, dropped it into iMovie, and did a bit of planning/editing.
• Declined a couple days’ worth of copyediting, my least favorite chore.
• Reinstalled the porteur and low-rider racks on the Elephant, being extra careful to not clamp anything down on any cable housing anywhere.
• Did a little casual research on the Swift Industries and Revelate bags.
Like I said, not exactly ditch-digging. Still, I’ll take the money. And thanks.